A viewing centre at Konduga where over 30 persons were killed when a suicide bomber detonated a bomb when sports lovers were watching Women World cup on Sunday is alleged to be belonging to a military official, community sources have told WEST AFRICA REPORTERS (WAR).
Mr. Yusuf who gave only his first name and claims he lives in Konduga, told WAR that the Viewing Centre belongs to a military man.
Yusuf narrated how the military man is using the Viewing Centre to make money. He said some times the army does not allow other persons to operate their own Viewing Centres, forcing residents to watch football in their own centre.
Confirming the claims, Mr. Gagaya, told WAR in a telephone conversation that the military is not only involved in Viewing Centre business but also actively involved in the charcoal business.
Gagaya added that the military engages the locals to fall the trees for them, process the charcoal while they take it to Maiduguri, the Borno state capital for sale.
As I speak to you, the military has abandoned the fight against Boko Haram insurgency, they and are now into local businesses and are making money, he said.
The Borno state Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had reported that over 30 persons were killed by the bomb blast that happened at viewing centre on Sunday.
“The death toll from the attack has so far increased to 30. We have over 40 people injured,” Usman Kachalla, head of operations at the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said on Monday.
The owner of the hall prevented one of the bombers from entering the packed venue.
“There was a heated argument between the operator and the bomber who blew himself up,” Hassan said by phone.
“Nine people died on the spot, including the operator, and 48 were injured,” Hassan said.
WAR could not immediately reach out to the Nigerian to hear their own side of the story.