Unknown gunmen have killed at least 78 policemen and 38 soldiers in Imo as hoodlums continue to attack security agencies and facilities in the South-East.
This was revealed by Commander of 34 Artillery Brigade, Brig.-Gen. Reymond Osaghe, at a recent press briefing.
He also stated that 100 unarmed civilians had been killed in the orgy of violence.
On Sunday, the army said its troops operating in Owerri foiled an early Sunday morning attack on the police command in Imo, killing six assailants.
The army spokesperson, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, disclosed that the troops, assisted by the police special forces, killed a top IPOB-ESN operational commander, Joseph Nnachi, alias King of Dragons.
He explained that Mr Nnachi orchestrated attacks on security agencies and government establishments in the south-eastern states.
According to him, Mr Nnachi was at the centre of several heinous attacks since the death of Ikonso, killed by security forces on April 24, at Awomama Village of Orlu East local government area.
He added that four other gang members were killed along with Mr Nnachi while one was captured alive.
Similarly, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy in Imo, Declan Emelumba’s country home in Ubulu, Oru West local government area, was attacked by hoodlums.
According to Mr Emelumba, the attackers shot sporadically into the air before setting two buildings in his family compound ablaze.
“In the early hours of Sunday, between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m, some people called me from the village that heavily armed gunmen stormed my compound, broke the gate, and set the buildings ablaze.
“My gateman, who was the only person around when they came, managed to escape unhurt.
“The bandits had easy access to the compound and completely burnt down everything,” Mr Emelumba said.